George Butler Associates Inc. (GBA) is a premier, multi-disciplinary, engineering consulting firm that has been doing business throughout the Midwest since 1969. With over four decades of experience in the industry, the GBA name has become synonymous with high quality work, innovation, and competent, dedicated staff, all while maintaining its warm, family-like atmosphere. The firm’s extensive client list includes various governmental agencies, counties/municipalities, water management districts, and private sector clients throughout the Midwest.
If you are interested in a company possessing stability, rich history, and advancing career paths, GBA might be just the place for you. Please review the responsibilities and requirements below to see if you might be a good fit for this position.
GBA is seeking a qualified Instrument Operator in our Lenexa, Kansas office. This person will assist the Crew Chief with the day to day operations of collecting survey data.
- Adjust and operate surveying instruments such as prisms, theodolites, levels, GPS, and electronic distance-measuring equipment
- Assists in operating all survey equipment including: Total Station, GPS Data collector (knowledge/experience operating Trimble Access, LiDAR Scanner, Carlson Survey, Geomax/Leica GPS, UAV/UAS is a plus)
- Collect information needed to carry out new surveys using source maps, previous survey data, photographs, computer records, and other relevant information.
- Accurately reduce field notes
- High School Diploma or equivalent degree
- Driver’s license with clean driving record
- Use of hand tools (hammer, machete, ax, chainsaw, etc.)
- Punctuality – Proven record of punctual attendance
- Basic knowledge of electronic devices
- Attention to detail
- Proven ability to take direction and perform duties as required by the Crew Chief
- Perform duties in an outdoor environment in various field settings (rural, urban, highways)
- Ability to work outside in a variety of climate situations for extended periods of time. The terrain may be rough, steep, wet or swampy. Vegetation may be dense, and insects, snakes or animals may be encountered.
- Occasional out of town travel may be required
- Overtime is occasionally required to accommodate project deadlines
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Work requires using a machete, shovel and sledgehammer or other appropriate tools. Lifting and carrying equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. over rough terrain may be required. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various pieces of field equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms, speak, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and smell. Able to get in and out of vehicle multiple times a day; drive 30 to 60 miles daily. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Physical and Lift Test required.
GBA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GBA promotes diversity in our workforce by including all individuals regardless of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status, or any other status protected by law.
How to Apply:
To be considered an applicant, you must go to the Careers section of our website at https://gbateam.com/job-openings/ to submit an application and resume.